There’s something about the while cotton I’m using. It just seems to go wrong as soon as I re-fill the bobbin. Can a cotton be too fluffy? I googled this and came up with this blog post from Tilly (and her buttons)
I shall de-fluff the machine. And continuously re-read to reassure myself that I’m not the only one in world to encounter such frustrating problems.
I’ve just come across this lovely post from ooobop.com, which I shall also re-read when I am feeling stressed out by sewing!
Right now, no. 6 ‘Practise, practise, practise’ and 2. ‘Measure twice, cut once’ are ones I need to take on board!
I went Stylecraft crazy on Wool warehouse recently, with the intention of getting all the colours I need for my crochet blanket. Look at all the colours!
Not quite as bright as they are in real life – that red is blinding! It’s far brighter than I expected, so I may have to purchase an alternative shade later down the line. And the light green is a bit, er, I don’t know, the type of shade of wool which made me think I hated crochet when I was younger. It’s almost apple green, but too light. I’m sure that next to the right shade of some other colour it will be fine.
Here’s a shot of some granny squares I’ve made, some more successful than others. Some I love, others are the most hideous things I’ve ever created (again, I don’t think the photo captures the true ugly. I’m looking at the yellow bordered one)!:
The purple flower ones at the bottom might make it into a cushion cover, but now I’m not so sure how much I like them. But I really like the top left flower square, and think I will definitely make more of those later on.
In the mean time, I’m going to keep making the regular squares in different colours and have a lovely mix and match granny square blanket, with a solid coloured border (probably purple).
And in final woolly news, I’ve started making the knitted dinosaur! So far, I’ve done this tiny amount:
You can see all the scribbles of a mad women from when I tried to make it before, but thought I would reduce the size of it. I failed. Turns out it’s much easier to knit something if you just follow the pattern!
I’m getting there with the Quillow. I’ve recently completed square #4 of #10. I am well aware that this does not make me 40% of the way there, what with the actual quilting part and putting on the border etc, but I’m very excited to be making progress!
Here’s the four of them huddling together on the kitchen floor:
As well as working on the quillow, and buying all the wool for the crochet blanket, the boyfriend and I recently made the mad decision to reupholster a chair. Silly because 1. we’ve never upholstered a chair before 2. it is a slightly odd shaped chair, and probably not the best place for a novice upholsterer to start.
We started months ago, but I got so cross with it the first weekend we tackled it, that it had to be removed from the flat for some time before I could look at it again. As you can see from the picture below, it is by no means perfect, but with a few extra staples, it should be perfectly fine to live in our flat for a little while longer. It’s the most ridiculous thing we’ve ever done. It’s part of a pair, so we’ll have to do the other one eventually…